Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church was organized March 17, 1947, in Orlando, Florida. This was done largely through the efforts, leadership, and guidance of the late Samuel D. Jenkins and Mother Leola Jenkins. The lot was donated by Mr. L. C. Cox to establish a community church. The original flooring was sawdust with a seating capacity of 10. In 1954 a permanent brick sanctuary was constructed which consisted of 3,300 square feet of floor space with a seating capacity of 250.
Additional property located at 4856 College Drive was purchased by the Sinai family in 1989 and used as a Youth Scout Building. The building was later named the Roscoe Wade Education Building in honor of the late Pastor Roscoe Wade. In 1999 the properties at 4869 and 4856 College Drive were sold to another upcoming ministry.
In March 1991, the Sinai family purchased 4.002 acres of vacant land located at the south west corner of Nome Drive and W. South Street, on which to construct a new church facility. In February 1993, the new facility was completed and consisted of 7,954 square feet of floor space with a seating capacity of 500. It was expanded in 1997 to a seating capacity of 800. The Development Center built in 1997 and expanded in 2004 and consists of a child development center, computer lab, 15 classrooms, regulation size gym and a full kitchen.
From 1947 to 1954, the late Reverend Samuel D. Jenkins served as pastor. He was succeeded by the late Reverend Roscoe Wade, who served from 1954 to 1988. In 1988 after the death of Pastor Wade, Dr. Larry G. Mills became the pastor and is still serving.
The Mt. Sinai Family is affiliated locally with the West Coast Baptist Association, Inc.; with the Florida General Baptist Convention; and with the National Baptist Convention U.S.A., Inc.
Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church
5200 West South Street
Orlando, FL 32811
Church Office (407) 299-8820
Church Fax (407) 521-8063